What is grounding?

,

Our culture values intellect, rationality and thought (read: being in your head) over feeling and being in our body. Grounding means just that, being aware of yourself and your body from the bottom up rather than the top down. I work on this daily with my clients because I find that those who are ‘top   

Relaxing the Pelvic Floor

,

Many of us hold tension in our hips and pelvis resulting in tight pelvic floor muscles. Those of us who sit for prolonged periods of time and who tend toward breath holding patterns are more likely to have pelvic tightness and can benefit from periodically relaxing the pelvic floor. This week’s video demonstrates a couple   

Acupuncture treats depression without major side effects

,

Photo of a worried young woman deep in thought.

Ever seen the movie “Side Effects”? It is a Hitchcockian suspense movie that came out this year from director Steven Soderbergh, starring Jude Law, Rooney Mara, and Channing Tatum. I rented it this last weekend. In this movie the main character, along with several supporting characters throw around brand-name antidepressants like they’re going out of   

Every Breath You Take

,

Taking a deep breath.

Over the years I’ve spent massaging a variety of bodies, I’ve found one thing to be of tremendous help in releasing tension: paying attention to your breathing! Breath is a powerful tool when used properly and plays a direct and indirect role on your nervous system. Awareness of breath might significantly help reduce many problematic   

Where is my headache coming from?

,

“Where is my headache coming from?” I learned not so long ago, reading a TMJ Disorder research paper by Melissa Dawahare, that many headaches are stemmed from having jaw pain. It’s a natural reflex to clench the jaw and many of us do this under stressful situations or perhaps we tend to only chew our   

Chronic Stress? Acupuncture can help

,

One of the most common concerns I hear from clients is a high level of stress. Though we all will feel stress in our lives from time to time, an increasing number of people experience continuous elevated levels of stress — otherwise known as chronic stress. Chronic stress can have many negative effects on your   

Natural Approach to Hypertension

,

Essential hypertension accounts for 90% of high blood pressure; the other 10% is secondary hypertension due to a variety of conditions such as renal, endocrine, vascular or neurological disorders. Most cases of hypertension respond well to medication but can have short-term undesirable effects and financial implications. There are natural methods to return blood pressure to   

Frequent Breaks and Position Changes Good For Your Back

,

New research confirms the obvious, stoop over and don’t move much and you’ll significantly increase your risk for lower back pain. In a newly released study, Hong Kong researchers evaluated workers at a school for severely handicapped individuals. Workers wore accelerometers attached to their trunks – devises that measure and track the degrees of trunk   

Hyperbaric Oxygen Improves Symptoms of PTSD

,

Hyperbaric Oxygen shown to improve PTSD Nearly 20% of servicemen and women returning from war-zones have been affected with symptoms of Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or traumatic brain injury/post-concussive syndrome (TBI/PCS). A study performed in November of 2011 and available in the Journal of Neurotrama found that treatment with hyperbaric oxygen nearly three years after   

Rest is work in our fast paced lives

,

“I’ll rest when I die.”“I have too much to do to waste my time sleeping.”“I’m so busy – where do people find the time.”“I can’t be lazy – I must do something productive with my time.” Does this sound familiar? These thoughts are pervasive in our society among all age groups. We live busy lives,